For the second year in a row Rotarians Against Hunger 2017 (RAH) packed nutritious meals for hungry people. On October 21st volunteers packed 43.008 Kids Against Hunger meals. This time the food will go to thousands of starving Syrian refugees in a camp next to the Israel border in the Golan Heights.
- A - 8:30 to 10:30 am / 53 volunteers packed 19,224 meals
- B - 11:00 am to 1:00 pm / 42 volunteers packed 15,120 meals
- C - 2:00 to 4:00 pm / 38 volunteers packed 8,424 meals
- Additionally, on Friday, Oct. 20, there were 26 from GNHS Interact Club who packed 3240 meals
All packing was done in a warehouse behind the BMO Harris Drive-In bank at Lawrence and 400 E. Irving Park Road in Roselle, IL.
Rotary Clubs in Carol Stream, Bloomingdale / Roselle and Lisle financially sponsored this activity. Rotary Clubs bring a fun community flair to an international service organization. They develop leadership skills. They promote good ethics, good health, literacy and peace-making. Each year they are deeply involved in helping local projects for community benefit.
The KAH-FV Packing Events on November 4 will be packing additional food for Syria. You can volunteer by checking in the box to the right.
Kids Against Hunger – Fox Valley packed 454,248 meals in 2014 and distributed them both locally and internationally, mostly to Nicaragua.
- 454,248 meals packed
- Income - $97,664
- Expenses - $96,696
- 2643 Volunteer hours
KAH Meals consist of dry ingredients of rice, processed soy, dried vegetables and 21 vitamins and minerals in an artificial flavoring. Each meal provides all essential nutrition for a child for one day in a cooked helping of just over a cup. The finished package has a shelf life of three to ten years. These are packed at a total cost of 25₵ to 28₵ per meal, depending on how and where the packing process occurs, and includes partial costs for delivery to Nicaragua or elsewhere.
Meals are packed six to a bag, 36 bags to a box of 216 meals, and 33 boxes per pallet of 7128 meals. The packing process involves eight to eleven people working together along side of two 8' tables to pack, weigh, seal and box the meals.
- 64,584 to Northern Illinois Food Bank, Geneva, IL
- 25,704 to Humanitarian Service Project, Carol Stream, IL
- 263,736 meals to Nicaragua (plus 99,792 meals awaiting shipment at the end of the year)
- (71,280 to Verbo Church Orphanages, 192,456 to World Mission Outreach NIC who provides food to 70 feeding locations, feeding 15,000 people each day)
- 3042 to Bethany House children's home in Calarasi, Romania